Expired or unwanted prescription(s) and over-the-counter medications from homes should never be thrown away by flushing them down the toilet or a drain. Doing this does keep someone from accidentally taking them, but it can harm water sources because treatment isn’t meant to remove these medications. Please use these rules when getting rid of medicine.
- Take unused, unneeded or expired prescription(s) and mark out your name and prescription number with permanent marker for safety.
- For pills: Add some water, soft drink or dish soap to help dissolve the pills. For liquids: Add something you can’t eat like cat litter, dirt or coffee grounds.
- Close the lid and secure with thick tape.
- Place the bottle(s) in a paper bag or container like a coffee can or plastic laundry bottle.
- Hide the container(s) in the trash. Do not put in recycle bin.