Properly installing or changing the battery provides safe and effective delivery of medication via the CADD 6101 Deltec Pump.
Supplies you will need
Batteries are provided by the pharmacy when the medication is delivered. If additional batteries are needed contact your hospice nurse.
- A new 9 volt alkaline or lithium battery. Brands that may be used are DURACELL® Alkaline MN 1604, the EVEREADY® Alkaline #522 or the ULTRALIFE® Lithium U9VL battery.
What to do
- The pump must be stopped to install a new battery.
- If the message appears, 9 volt Battery Depleted/Install good battery, the pump is now stopped. Press VIEW/SILENCE to silence the alarm. A new battery may now be installed.
- If the message appears, 9 volt Battery Low, the pump will still operate. Press VIEW/SILENCE to silence the alarm. Stop the pump by pressing the STOP/START button. A new battery may now be installed. Install a new battery each time after the medication bag or cassette is changed.
Installing the battery in the CADD 6101 Deltec Pump
TO CHANGE THE BATTERY
Make sure that the pump is stopped. If the screen is blank, press VIEW/SILENCE to see the screen. If the pump is running, press STOP/START. The pump will ask you Do you want to stop the pump? Press YES button.
- With the pump facing you, the battery slide door is located on the right side of the pump, just above the lock.
- Place your finger in the indentation, press in and hold the white tab down as you slide the door forward, as shown.
- Remove the old battery.
- Insert new battery. The positive mark is on the top above the slide. The negative mark is on the bottom below the slide. The positive on the battery must match the positive on the pump. You will hear a beep when the battery is inserted correctly. If the battery is inserted incorrectly the screen will stay blank and you will not hear a beep.
- Slide the door in place.
- The screen will now go through an automatic review of the pump settings. The yellow light will be blinking. You will hear several beeps. Power Up Successful will appear on the screen.
- The screen will display Bluegrass Hospice and on the second line on the right, show STOPPED.
- Press START/STOP button.
- The screen will display Start the pump. Press YES button to start the pump.
- The screen will display Starting pump and begin an automatic review of the pump settings. Wait for the review to finish.
- When the automatic review is complete, Bluegrass Hospice will appear on the screen. On the second line at the right the screen will display RUNNING. The green light will be blinking.
- Note: When the green light is blinking, the pump is running.
- To verify that the pump is running, press VIEW/SILENCE. The word RUNNING will display on the second line at the right. The screen will clear in a few minutes in order to save battery power.
Before changing a battery make sure the pump is stopped. The medication bag or cassette should remain attached while changing the battery. After changing the battery, check the time and date; if either one is not correct, notify the hospice nurse.